Sunday, April 22, 2012

2012 Ragnar Relay HB to San Diego

 Here's our 'Sole Sister' team the night before at Olive Garden 
 At our first exchange.  Van 1 had just finished their first legs.  
 Van 2 ran in the heat of the day.  It was about 100 degrees that day.  It was miserably hot.  One of the hardest runs.
 Here I am sitting down after my first leg.  It was about 6 miles.  
I'm pretty sure I had heat exhaustion because I was so hot, yet I was cold, shaking and had the chills.
First leg was really not that fun :(
 Here we are supporting runners and spraying them as they ran by to keep them cool.
 Thank heavens, the sun went down and here we are at the midnight exchange.  Van 1 had completed their 2nd legs and it was our turn and we would run through the middle of the night.

 Here Wendy and I are in our night-time running gear.  My 2nd leg was only 5 miles and I started running around 1am.  I ran through the ghetto of Escondido.  Bars on all the windows.  Yah, that'll give you warm fuzzies in the pitch black all by yourself.  I wanted to beg the guys passing me by to slow down and run with me, but I didn't...Lived to tell the story :)
 Saturday morning.  Got about an hour of sleep and now we're ready to take off again to start our 3rd leg.
I had an 11 mile run ahead of me and was so nervous.  I had never run that far and especially not on only about an hour of sleep.
And we did it!  Jump for joy.
Greg and the boys came down for the 3rd leg and to see us through the finish line.  That last leg of mine was long and it was so nice to see my boys drive by and cheer me on.  At one point they even got out of the car and handed me a water bottle.  
At the end Greg told me as the runners were running through the tunnel to the finish line that Ty started to run as fast as he could with them.  He told me that the crowd cheered Ty on as he ran through the tunnel.
I wish I had a picture or was able to witness it.

I loved all the girls on this team.
The Ragnar was such a great experience.  All I can say was that weekend was and forever will be one of the most memorable of my life.  Words just can't describe it!  I had such a great time.  I ran 19.8 miles in about a 36 hour period.  I laughed a lot!  Even cried a little.  It was so neat to be part of something bigger than myself.  It's amazing what you can achieve when you have such a great team cheering you on.  Easily one of the best weekends of my life :) 


Brittany said...

That's awesome, way to go!! I plan to do one of these next year.